CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, August 28, 2008

So it seems to be working.

So at least I can see the slideshows...let me know if you can.

I got my big boy yesterday at camp. Well truthfully I got him at Newark airport after having to THROW AWAY my yogurt at O'Hare. And my ice pack.

Seriously-yes, I, Sara P, am going to blow up the airplane with a Stonyfield Farms Peach Fat Free yogurt and a rubbermaid ice pack.

Oh well. I resorted to buying a bagel from the Dunkin Donuts in O'Hare that gets its donuts and bagels from the kosher Dunkin Donuts.

Got to the airport, loitered read blogs uploaded photos and checked my email in the terminal for about 45 minutes, and then the bus arrived!

My little torpedo came shooting at me. Have you ever been attacked/hugged by 75 pounds of Dovi love? It's enough to knock you over, or at least bring you to your knees.

"I miss you Mommy. I happy to see you"

What more could you want?

It turns out I was flying home with 2 counselors and 3 campers. Of course I so adore Camp Simcha Special tales that I was pumping the counselors mercilessly. I'm sure all they wanted to do was snooze, and I'm like:

"So-what cool concerts were there?"

"How was the helicopter ride?"

And so on and so forth.

Then I had a conversation with one of them that literally took my breath away.

We were talking about costumes that the counselors wear, and he was telling me about how he stole a Batman costume from another counselor (as in a full body head to toe Batman getup. Worn in camp. as clothing).

Why did he steal it?

"Well my camper, you know, he really loves Batman. And when I had to give him his enemas two times a day I'd put on the Batman costume, and sometimes another counselor would put on his Superman costume, and we'd have a whole enema party in the bathroom. It made him happy"

So I nod. I say "Cool!"

Meanwhile, I'm literally speechless.

A 20 year old guy is willingly giving an 8 year old an enema. Not once. twice a day. for two weeks. He is not the child's parent. He has a choice here. No one forced him to be a counselor. In fact, guys are lining up to be counselors. How is this possible? How can there be such amazing, selfless guys in this world?

I'd like to think that, given the opportunity, I would've been a CSS counselor. But I'm really not sure. Did I really have it in me, at age 19/20, to completely, selflessly devote myself to a child that was not my own, that needs procedures and medications every day, multiple times a day, that were often uncomfortable? Could I have showered a camper who was literally 3 years older than me? Gotten up every hour to check the feeding pump, oxygen, and diaper of a 10 year old?

Honestly, I'm really not sure.

(Oh wait! I was 20 when Dovi was born. I guess I did have it in me!)

But I thank my lucky stars that there are for Dovi.

No comments: