Either way, a few nights ago I watched the A&E show "Hoarders" on TV. Oh My Heavens I almost passed out. Firstly, Mommy, DO NOT CLICK THAT LINK. You will have a nervous breakdown. Of course, watching the show made me want to clean house. You all know that my house is basically clean. But my closets could be neater. So.
OH! I remembered the word. It does not start with C. It is ACCOUNTABILITY. So in the spirit of both accountability and my twitchiness from watching Hoarders, I have made a list of that which needs to be done in my house. Obviously, I don't expect it to be done in one day. Or two. But the way I see it, if I do two tasks per day, my house should be loverly within about two weeks.
So I hereby give you my list of what needs to be done:
- Clean Dovi's closet
- Clean ESJ's closet
- Clean out ESJ's toys/books in their room/pack up baby books
- Clean MY closet
- Clean out/prepare to donate my clothes
- Clean out under my bed (moe Benjie's old shoes than anything-prepare to donate)
- Clean out hall closet-mostly kids' out of season clothes
- Clean out coat closet
- File the past 2 months of paperwork/prepare to archive 2009 (it IS December, folks)
- Organize toy closet (Sunday with kids?)
- Organize silver closet (I have this closet in my den in which I keep my silver and other Judaic stuff for Shabbos. It's a mess)
Straighten Living Room bookshelvesDONE THIS MORNING
- Clean out under den couch (probably enough toys to entertain a small child for a week)
- Organize meat pots and pans cabinet
- Re-organize basement now that we cleaned out my Dad's stuff-everything got shoeved around when we brought his entire apartment back here in Sepetember, and now that we cleaned it out and sorted everything, we went from 20 boxes to 4. So I need to straighten out everything.
- Straighten out entertainment unit. The decorative items aren't so decorative when they are messy and cluttered.
I'll check in as I'm progressing! Off to the pots and pans now, my dears. Let me tell you folks, it seems a heck of a lot less daunting now that I've assigned myself a bunch of small little tasks that can be done in under 20 minutes each, except for the kids' rooms which are scary.
Join me! Let's be all organize-y together!
I wonder how many people are doing the same thing after watching that show. I guess it was a good thing, then?